Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Met with resistance

A couple of days ago I was talking to a couple of friends of mine about the commitment ceremony between Anne, R. and I.  In  some ways it was a slow build process for me.  I told two people who I was "certain" would be understanding and supportive.  I was met with resistance.  It broke my heart.  I know that this lifestyle isn't for everyone, but I've been the kind of person who was friends with people who were judgmental.  My opinion is - do what makes you happy.  Most of my friends, or so I thought, felt the same way.

.......

That was the beginning part of this post.  I had saved this in my drafts because I wasn't really ready to write about it.  Luckily in both cases, both friends have ultimately come around and given support.  I think *I* need to be more patient and understand there might not be instant acceptance.  There will most definitely be questions.  Sadly from some people there will not be acceptance.  Those are just the facts of life.  I know this logically.  I think emotionally there is still part of me that just wants to believe everyone will be accepting.

For me I think the lesson is I'm lucky I am loved by some people who are accepting and will love me even if they don't always agree with my "life choice", however I need to prepare myself for the fact that not everyone will.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear your friends were harsh. I myself had a very, very bad experience with one 'so called' friend who had me almost close to tears with his attack on my decision.

    I hope it did not get you too down? You haven't updated in a while.

    N
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natja,

    Thank you for the comment. They haven't gotten me so down I'm going to stop writing. I did however hurt my back which has thrown a loop in things, but I'm on the mend now and will soon be back in business. *smiles*

    I hope all is well in your part of the world.

    J

    ReplyDelete